Week 1: Revision of Last Term's Work
NOTEBOOK TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS – 80LEAVES NOTEBOOK
SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
TOPIC: FOOD (CLASSIFICATION AND FUNCTIONS OF FOOD)
SOURCES: SENIOR PRIMARY HOME ECONOMICS TEXT BOOK 4 PAGE 42 THEME 4 (PRE VOCATIONAL EDITION), AUTHOR: REBECCA OYEGBEDA
WHAT IS FOOD?
Food is the substance taken into the body to provide nutrient that are needed by the body, examples of food we eat are yams, cassava, rice, beans, fish, bread, meat, vegetables etc. Food is very important to the growth and well being of human being. Our body needs balanced food to enable it work well.
WHAT IS BALANCE DIET?
Balance diet is a meal that contains all the basic food nutrient in the right proportion. When we eat every day, we don’t need to eat only one type of food but we need to eat a balanced diet to maintain good health.
REASONS FOR EATING GOOD FOOD
- Food helps to maintain adequate health.
- It gives enough energy for daily activities
- Food provides materials for growth and repairs of worn out tissue of the body.
CLASSIFICATION OF FOOD AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
- Protein: consists of animals and plant protein for example for animal protein, we have meat, fish, egg, snail etc. For plant protein, we have beans, peas, groundnut, millet, soya beans. Protein is a body building food it helps to build the body and replace worn out tissues.
- Carbohydrates: starchy food like yam, cassava, (garri) plantain, cocoyam, bread, rice, maze, potatoes etc are examples of carbohydrates food under the energy giving food. It provides the body with energy for work. These good nutrients also supply the body with heat.
- Fat and oil: they are also energy giving food examples are palm oil, groundnut, cheese, margarine
- Vitamins and mineral salt: they are under protective food that helps to protect and regulate the body. They help to maintain the body systems they also protect the body from disease, examples are paw paw, carrot, pineapple , banana, orange, water melon
- Water: water is also under the protective food they help in the regulation of body process such as digestion assimilation examples are water, tea, beverages.
NOTE: please read page 42 of your textbook for more knowledge
- Protein is a body building food. (YES/NO)
- Rice is an energy giving food (YES/NO)
- Name two nutrients
- Which nutrient is responsible for growth
- Protective food protect the body from ___________
- Give two reason for eating food